Tuesday, August 4, 2009

All Points Wet-A muddied review

I am not a huge concert buff-mostly because I can't afford to go to more than 1 or maybe 2 concerts a year-I mean seriously, Ticketmaster is a greedy monopoly! But I bought a one day pass to All Points West-mostly to see Coldplay-because I love their new album....more on that later. So after shelling out 100 bucks-with charges and tax and freaking out because Ticketmaster didn't send the tickets on time, I left with my boyfriend to go to this festival. We packed for heavy rain-ponchos,blankets, etc. but not umbrellas because you weren't allowed to bring umbrellas. Or food. Or water. Yay for 6$ pizza slices that they sold! All of these small complaints aside there was mud. Lots of it. In the beginning of the festival the scattered mud puddles were deep and annoying, but like a team of super villains, they joined together and became one giant mud path. Some of the more drug-induced stunts of the evening included stoners flinging mud at the crowds. Not so funny. 

On to the music. The music honestly lit up my evening and made the mud puddles figuratively go down the drain. My top picks-and the only bands whom I saw the full sets of were We Are Scientists, The Black Keys and of course Coldplay. We Are Scientists was entertaining, but a bit forgettable. In short they completely met my expectations- though I found some new songs by them that I will probably download. The highlight of their set was most definitely "The Great Escape"-a real sing along. Low lights include stoners throwing mud on me and grabbing my hand. Thanks guys.

The Black Keys was very interesting. I am short so I couldn't see them well-but I kept going on tippy toes to check if they were really a 2 piece band. They were not only fun, entertaining and talented-but they put on a great show. I honestly don't usually like bluesy music-but they mixed blues with some alternative and some good old rock and roll for a great outcome. I particularly enjoyed 10 AM automatic and the band's unique "I don't care i we look like a band or not" appearance.

And now for Coldplay. I'm sorry in advance for being a bit biased but seriously Coldplay is awesome. They are wonderful musicians who really have a passion for their music. Most of their stuff is more than a bit more mellow than the alt. rock and metal bands out there-but they play every song with the passion of a hard n heavy rock anthem. Their lyrics are beautiful and I can honestly say that I enjoyed every minute of their set-even the "oldplay" songs that I'm not as familiar with. Some highlights include Yellow-where the lights were a brilliant lemon color and the band tossed yellow balloons into the muddied crowd; Viva La Vida of course, a "Coldplayized" version of You gotta fight; Lovers in Japan which was a great show of culture, light and sound; and Chris Martin's sweet British accent.

Overall All Points West was well worth the wait, mud and the stench of a few hundred hourses. I just wish I could have seen more bands-it was so hard to pick and choose!

Peace, Love and Rock n roll people.

No comments:

Post a Comment