Wednesday, July 15, 2009

21st Century Awesomeness-Hooray for Green Day!

I recently bought the new Green Day album on Itunes. I wish I could've gotten the album but I hate Best Buy, and alas Tower Records went out of business. Anyway, I thought it was pretty top-notch, even though the singles suck. Honestly the two singles-Know Your Enemy and Restless Heart Syndrome aren't that great. "Enemy" is repetitive to the point of becoming broken-record status and "BHS" is just not memorable. Do not be intimidated by the length of the album- 22 songs...wow! It loosely follows the idea of a concept album-with motifs such as love, religion, politics and non conformity. This seems to be nothing new for Green Day especially since the, in my opinion pretty good to mediocre album American Idiot. I especially enjoyed the songs 21st century breakdown, before the lobotomy, last night on earth, east jesus nowhere and horseshoes and handgrenades.

For Green Day this is a definite step up. I'm not the biggest Green Day know it all, but when was the last time Green Day had a love ballad like Last Night on Earth? The instrumentals go beyond the normal simple punk riffs that Green Day steers toward, and is more complex. The only complaint I have is the lyrics. It's the same complaint I have with Pink Floyd. The anti-establishment lyrics are a bit too obvious. However the lyrics are much more tolerable than "Idiot's" Give Me Novocain. I honestly can't stop listening to this album. I really wish I had tickets for the tour.

No comments:

Post a Comment