Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I'm an English major and I liked Twilight

Ok Before I get started, let me clarify. I liked Twilight because I saw it as entertainment, as a "I wonder what's going to happen next" type of thing, similar to Stephen King novels and the DaVinci Code. I think to appreciate the series you have to be into vampires, and understand that Twilight fans, and I'm sure Stephanie Meyer herself are not equating the books to...say 1984 or Heart of Darkness. Some things I thought the books excelled at and could improve upon:

1) I loved the character of Jacob, and the members of the Cullen family but I thought all of the other characters were either one or two dimensional. Jacob's character and the Cullens-minus Edward were all very interesting to read about. They had faults, troubles and triumphs. But, I honestly thought that Bella and Edward were great for each other only because they were so boring! I also thought the whole "sparkling vampire" thing was quite silly. Bella seemed too...ordinary, and I honestly don't think I could describe her character at all. She only stood out because her high school friends were so incredibly dull, and I think most fans skipped over the parts that took place in her high school.
2)The drama was great but the descriptive language....not so much. Ok we all know that Edward and Bella's kisses and fights were fun to read about, as well as the love triangle. I thought the love triangle with Jacob was very intense and well developed. Truth be told, I always rooted for Jacob. But honestly, I could never picture any character or situation like I could in Harry Potter. The descriptions were bland, and the vocabulary level was much to be desired, even considering that it's a YA book. But again, it was easy to look over the language because of the intense action/love scenes.


 Anyway, don't avoid Twilight because of the ultra-hype and fangirls. All I'm saying is, give vampires a chance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment